The EU plans to add 12 substances of very high concern (SVHC) to Annex XIV of REACH (Authorization List) in October of this year. It published the corresponding draft of REACH on February 15. Find the WTO notification here.
The addition increases the number of substances on the list from 43 to 55. Of the 12 substances or substance groups, the following 6 are classified as toxic to reproduction (Category 1B):
- 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, dihexyl ester, branched and linear
- Dihexyl phthalate
- 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, di-C6-10-alkyl esters; 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid, mixed decyl, hexyl and octyl diesters with ≥ 0.3% of dihexyl phthalate
- Trixylyl phosphate
- Sodium perborate, perboric acid, sodium salt
- Sodium peroxometaborate
The following four substances are classified as persistent, bioaccumulative, and toxic (PBT) and/or as very persistent and very bioaccumulative (vPvB). Only one substance has been classified simply as vPVB:
- 5-sec-butyl-2-(2,4-dimethylcyclohex-3-en-1-yl)-5-methyl-1,3-dioxane , 5-sec-butyl-2-(4,6-dimethylcyclohex-3-en-1-yl)-5-methyl-1,3-dioxane  (covering any of the individual stereoisomers of  and  or any combination thereof) (“karanal group”) – vPvB only
- 2-(2H-benzotriazol-2-yl)-4,6-ditertpentylphenol (UV-328)
- 2,4-di-tert-butyl-6-(5-chlorobenzotriazol-2-yl)phenol (UV-327)
- 2-(2H-benzotriazol-2-yl)-4-(tert-butyl)-6-(sec-butyl)phenol (UV-350)
- 2-benzotriazol-2-yl-4,6-di-tert-butylphenol (UV-320)
One substance – diazene-1,2-dicarboxamide (C,C’-azodi(formamide)) (ADCA) – is a respiratory sensitizer of Category 1.
A supply of spare parts is needed to guard against premature obsolescence of many products, and the spare parts can contain substances on the Authorization List. That’s why the authors of the draft suggest lengthening the transition periods for many substances. The items affected are substances in products that were manufactured before the prohibition took effect.
Annex XIV was last changed in June 2017, when 12 other substances were added to the Authorization List.
We protect your products and take care of legal compliance. Please send any questions to email@example.com.