EU Accelerates Introduction of New CLP Hazard Classes
The European Commission has announced a fast-track implementation of its new CLP hazard classes. Thanks to the fast-track interservice consultation (ISC), the EU Commission can approve the delegated legislation before the end of the year. In total, the EU suggests five new hazard classes:
- Endocrine disruptors (ED)
- Persistent, bioaccumulative, and toxic substances (PBT)
- Very persistent and very bioaccumulative substances (vPvB)
- Persistent, mobile, and toxic substances (PMT)
- Very persistent and very mobile substances (vPvM)
Industry associations criticized the process because premature introduction of new hazard classes would defeat the GHS principle, which aims at globally harmonized classification and labeling, and thereby undermine uniform hazard communication in global business.
Nevertheless, companies should expect having to classify multiple new substances.
Please feel free to direct any questions about GHS in general to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.